Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Habit I Need To Work On

(Written 11/3/09)
I have recently completed a little book called The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey. The book tells teenagers how to be successful, healthy, and build proper relationships.

As I read the book, I came across a habit that I did not excel at, and that was habit number five, Seek First to Understand, then to be Understood. This habit proved to me that I was not as great as a listener as thought I was. Of course, I usually pay attention to the person talking to me, but I seldom attempted to truly understand him or her. I just thought of something I could say.

Sometimes, my friends would go to me if they were in need of someone to talk to about an issue. I listened to them and even understood them, but I gave them advice when they never even asked for help. I should have used some sort of "mirroring"(telling someone my interpretation what they are saying to me) skill. The book gives great examples of how to use the skill, and I will make sure to use said skill in the near future, so I can become a better listener.

I recommend this book to teenagers who are lost or troubled. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens assists lost teenagers to help get their life back on track. Parents who are having a little trouble with their teen should give this book to their teen. I myself found the book pretty decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment