Sunday, October 24, 2010

Possible Reads?

  1. Neon Angel by Cherie Currie
  2. Going Bovine by Libba Bray
  3. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Since reading Scar Tissue, I have an insatiable appetite for my favorite musicians' auto-biographies. I plan on reading Neon Angel by Cherie Currie, the former leading lady of the 1970s punk band, The Runaways. Currie's memoir should be a page-turner, because she was introduced to the wild world of rock and roll at the tender age of 15. Since the memoir's content is simply not appropriate for school, I won't make any bets that I will find Neon Angel in our library. Not to worry! Hastings will surely have a copy of it! Of course, I don't exactly have the cash to buy it, so I'll have to stay in the store and read it there, like I did with Scar Tissue, until a very gracious person let me borrow his copy.

A friend of mine, the same friend who recommended Scar Tissue to me, read Going Bovine and could not put it down. I figured that since he and I are not too big on reading and I liked the last book he recommended, we have have similar tastes in books. Luckily, Mrs. Huff has Going Bovine sitting on her bookshelf, so there is no conflict in getting it.

Many people consider watching the movie before reading the book a "no-no." Why? I would much rather be impressed with a movie, then be even MORE impressed with a book (since books are always better than the movie), rather than be impressed with the book, then upset with how inaccurate a movie is. I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) and fell in love. If the movie is that amazing, I can't even imagine how great the book is! I honestly haven't a clue whether the novel is in the library or any English teacher's bookshelf, but I do know that it lies within the classic novel section of Hastings. Perhaps I can find a cheap paperback?

1 comment: