Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What It Means to be a Winner

(Writer's Notebook)
Naturally, people want to be better than someone at something. It's called being competitive. Winning doesn't always prove that you're better than someone else at whatever it is you're competing at, just as losing doesn't mean you're not as good as others at whatever it is you're competing at. Remember: We all have are bad days and good days.

Winning is just a good feeling for most. The prize doesn't have to be tangible, it could be pride itself. Too much pride, however, causes someone to be an egomaniac. That type of a person is never fun to be around. I admit, sometimes I sometimes get a bit cocky when I compete in chair tests, but I never let it go to my head.

I've "won" spots in all-region and all-state and first chair in our little school band back in my junior high days. I felt accomplished, because I felt as if I deserved it.

Winning could either mean being lucky or very determined.

I guess you can pick up vibes that I have REALLY mixed feelings on the topic.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that winning doesn't always mean your better...

    ReplyDelete