Monday, December 13, 2010

"Nothing Gold Can Stay"

Although I do not disagree with her point of view, this is not quite S.E. Hinton's interpretation of "Nothing Gold Can Stay," and if you would care for her view on it, read The Outsiders if you have not already.

Robert Frost's "Nothing Gold Can Stay" only has eight simple lines to it, but happens to be one of my favorite poems of all time. He paints a clear image of a golden sunrise and nature blooming it's first green, but replaces that with a gray picture of Eden sinking to grief. Robert Frost rarely wrote about nature and only nature. This poem is a parallel to happiness.

Happiness is a beautiful emotion that I never take for granted. It gives me a warm fluttery feeling in my heart that spreads through my chest and builds a smile across my face-- a feeling that is "gold." Unfortunately, this feeling of sweet ecstasy never lasts. It is the"hardest hue to hold." Soon enough, my smile fades and the feeling in my heart coldly diminishes. "Dawn goes down to day."

"Letdowns" are everywhere in life. We all come across tons of them a day. Somehow, no matter how dark it gets, we hang in there. Perhaps it's the hope of a new-found happiness that helps us hold on a little longer. Maybe if we cling to that hope for a new dawn a little tighter, we can make that "gold" stay a little longer.


1 comment:

  1. Your post gave me a "warm fluttery feeling in my heart." Really. Your sentimental reminiscing is heartfelt. It is indeed one of the great paradoxes of life that sorrow and hardship and trials always seem to lurk at the heel of happiness.

    ReplyDelete